Do you need a portable coffee maker for your daily routine? For coffee lovers, a portable coffee machine makes it easy for you to enjoy your coffee on the go.
On your daily routine, camping, or travel, you can never go wrong with a portable coffee maker machine.
How to choose a portable coffee maker
Before proceeding to buy a coffee maker, you need to have an idea of the type of machine that will meet your needs. You do not want to budget for a coffee maker that you will not end up using.
Having a portable coffee maker machine means that you can use it for camping, working, adventure, and home use.
Let’s have a look at some of the factors that you need to consider before buying a portable coffee maker machine.
The reason why you need a portable coffee maker is to prepare or have ready coffee as you move. The size of the coffee machine should be a priority.
The first thing to come to mind is how to carry it. Will it fit in a bag pack? Do you need a protective case to prevent damage?
Make sure that you are comfortable with the size of the coffee maker before proceeding with the purchase.
Ease of cleaning
A clean coffee maker machine maintains the flavor of the coffee brewing. For instance, if you’re out camping, is there enough water to clean your coffee machine?
From the specifications listed, make sure you understand how to clean the coffee machine. Some may be dish cleaner washable, while others may not.
The functionality of a portable coffee maker
Coffee makers are designed to use electrical power, while others are designed for use on stovetops. As a buying guide, you need to check the functionality of the coffee machine.
You might find yourself having bought an electrical coffee maker when you needed a stovetop machine.
Type of coffee
As a coffee lover, there are times you need to satisfy your taste buds with different coffee drinks. For example, espresso, mocha, or latte.
For this reason, you will need a coffee machine that can prepare these drinks. From the description, it is easy to find this information.
Ease of use
Not everyone has the barista skills to prepare quality coffee. There are portable coffee makers that operate by a press of a button, while others use pressure pumps. Check the functionality of the coffee machine before purchasing.
How much coffee does a coffee maker serve in a single brew?
How often do you want to brew your coffee? Coffee machines come in different sizes. There are portable coffee machines that prepare single-serve coffee drinks while others can be used for an average family.
For a fresh cup of coffee, you may opt for a single-serve coffee maker machine. It will depend on your coffee needs and probably the number of people to serve.
How long should the coffee machine last? How should you handle a coffee machine to give it a longer life span? The durability of any device, in general, is essential.
To determine the durability, find out how often can you brew coffee. Does it have any delicate parts?
You can also find out the durability of a coffee machine from the review section, to see what other people have to say about a product.
Why do you need a portable coffee maker?
How often do you require to sip your coffee? With a portable coffee maker, you do not need to spend money at a cafe for a cup of coffee.
Well, this does not mean that having a portable coffee machine limits you from buying coffee from a cafe.
Once in a while, you can test your barista skills and prepare quality coffee for your family and yourself. Let’s have a look at some of the reasons why you may need a portable coffee maker:
For instance, you are working from home, and you need a constant supply of coffee. How often will you have to contact the cafe for coffee delivery?
Now, this is where convenience comes in. Some coffee machines are automatic. With the press of a button, you have your coffee ready within a few minutes.
Whether you’re on the move, camping, or working, you can have your coffee any time.
Not all coffee machines are expensive. You can get a budget-friendly, portable coffee maker from eCommerce sites like Amazon. For every dollar you spend on a cup of coffee, you can save up this money and buy a coffee maker.
As a coffee lover, you may be spending a lot of money on coffee drinks, which you can, in turn, buy an all-in-one coffee machine.
Brew to suit your taste buds
Having a coffee machine makes it easy for you to try different ways of preparing coffee drinks. It also improves your barista skills with time.
For example, when making a latte, you can try different arts like a skilled barista. You also get to perfect coffee making skills and brew coffee that satisfies your taste buds.
As the name suggests, you may need to have a portable coffee maker as you travel or move about. Some coffee machines have portable mugs.
Also, there are coffee machines that you can carry along in your bag or car and prepare coffee when you need it. An example is the Deluxe cold brew coffee machine.
Not sure of a portable coffee maker machine to buy? Then, this quick guide is for you.
Here is a list of the ten best portable coffee makers to choose from.
Let’s get started.
1. Takeya Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Coffee Maker
How do you like to brew your coffee? The Takeya Patented Deluxe cold coffee brew allows you to make one or two quarts of coffee.
With this portable coffee maker machine, you do not have to prepare a cup of coffee every time you need one. After brewing your coffee, you can store your drink for up to two weeks in a refrigerator.
- Cleaning: the Deluxe Cold Brew Coffee maker is dishwasher friendly. It makes cleaning faster and easy.
- The patented airtight lid maintains the flavor and freshness of the ready coffee.
- The silicone handle gives you a firm grip to prevent the coffee machine from sliding.
- The Takeya Patented Deluxe has a fine-mesh coffee filter that prevents the already ground coffee from mixing with the coffee.
2. Wacaco Nanopresso Portable Espresso Maker
How would you rate your barista skills? The Wacaco NanoPresso Portable coffee maker machine allows you to sip your espresso while on the move.
With this coffee maker, all you need is your ground coffee and boiling water. The Nanopresso does not require a power connection or batteries to operate. It is manual.
- The Nanopresso portable Espresso maker comes with a hand pump to press and extract the coffee flavor.
- It has a water tank that holds up to 80ml of water.
- The Nanopresso comes with a detachable cup.
- NanoPresso Portable Espresso maker comes with a portafilter to use when extracting espresso.
3. Farberware 50124 Classic Yosemite Stainless Steel Coffee Percolator
What is your experience in using a stovetop coffee maker? Did you get any burn accidents? How fast was the coffee maker? The Farberware Yosemite coffee maker is portable and can make coffee for an average family.
You can choose between 8-12 cups. This coffee machine works on stovetops unlike the electrical machines. As a stovetop coffee maker, this makes it slower than the usual electrical coffee makers.
- Durability: the Farberware Yosemite is made of stainless steel.
- The non-reactive interior helps preserve the flavor of the coffee brewing.
- Farberware Yosemite has a clear plastic knob that allows you to monitor and see when the percolating begins.
- A permanent filter basket saves you from messy filters.
4. Veken French Press Coffee Maker
Ever thought of giving out a coffee machine as a gift? The Veken French Press coffee machine makes a suitable gift. You can use this portable coffee maker machine to carry your coffee as you travel, camp, or to the office.
- Scale line: the clear, visible scale line helps you prepare the precise amount of coffee you need.
- Multi-purpose: with the Veken French Press coffee maker, not only can you use it for coffee but also tea, frothed milk, etc.
5. Keurig K-Mini Coffee Maker Single-Serve K-Cup Pod Coffee Brewer
The Keurig K-mini Coffee maker is portable to use and move around. The removable drip tray makes it easy to store and carry the machine.
Do you have limited space in your kitchen to store the portable coffee maker machine? The single-serve coffee brewer is slim and fits on different countertops.
To use the brewer, you need to have a reusable coffee filter or use coffee pods.
- Energy-saving: to save on power, the Keurig K-Mini single-serve coffee maker automatically goes off after 90 minutes of inactivity.
- One cup reservoir: the coffee maker allows you to add one cup of water for each brew.
6. GSI Outdoors 8 Cup Enamelware Percolator Coffee Pot
Coffee lovers need to enjoy their coffee, even when they are out for camping. The Enamelware Percolator coffee maker is suitable for the kitchen, cabin, and camping.
- Three-ply construction: it helps in distributing the heat in the brewing process.
- Unbreakable resin cup: it helps you check the coffee as it brews.
- The heavy-gauge steel material protects the Enamelware Percolator coffee maker from scratching and chipping.
7. Chefman InstaCoffee Single Serve Coffee Maker Compatible with K-Cup Pods
The Chefman InstaCoffee is easy to use with the press of a single button. Depending on your taste bud, you can have your coffee in a few seconds.
The design of the coffee maker makes it easy to store in any place. The fact that it requires a small storage area makes it ideal for travel, vacation, trips, offices, kitchens, etc.
- One-touch operation: with the press of a single button, the Chefman InstaCoffee prepares your coffee fast.
- Reusable filter: the reusable filter allows you to brew fresh coffee ground.
8. Presto 02835 MyJo Single Cup Coffee Maker, Black
Similar to the coffee makers mentioned above, the Presto MyJo is a portable coffee maker that you can carry on your camping, home, work, or travel.
As you can already tell from the name, it makes a single cup of coffee on each brew. For a coffee lover who loves enjoying a fresh cup of coffee, the Presto MyJo serves you a single cup for your convenience.
- Microwave friendly: with Presto MyJo, you only need to add water to the reservoir and place it in a microwave to boil.
- Has a pump: to brew the coffee you need to pump water through the K-cup.
9. Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker, Single-Serve K-Cup Pod Coffee, Latte and Cappuccino Maker
What is your favorite coffee drink? With Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker, you can make frothy cappuccinos, creamy lattes, and coffee drinks.
Unlike other portable coffee makers, Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker comes with a milk frother that is dishwasher friendly. To brew your coffee shot, you need to use K-Cups pods.
It’s also worth noting that the Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker is a single-serve coffee maker. It also works with a reusable K-Cup reusable coffee filter.
- The Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker functions like a super-automatic machine. This coffee maker operates by pressing specific buttons.
- The programmable automatic off feature powers off the brewer 2 hours after the last brew.
- Smart start: Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker does not require preheating before using it.
- It comes with a large removable water reservoir. Each brew can prepare up to six cups of coffee.
- Button control: after placing the K-Cup pod, you can choose from the available options the type of coffee that works for you. For instance, coffee, hot or iced cappuccinos, and lattes.
- Brewer maintenance reminder: to maintain the flavor of your coffee brew, the Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker reminds you to descale.
- Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker has a friendly travel mug that is also dishwasher friendly.
- Milk frother: first, the frother is machine washable. It also has a cold setting for cold milk frothing.
10. Primula Aluminum Espresso Maker
Is size one of the factors you consider when buying a portable coffee maker? The Primula Aluminum Espresso Maker helps you prepare six cups of espresso.
Unlike other coffee makers that rely on electricity, Primula Aluminum Espresso Maker works on stovetops. It’s easy to use and can be used to prepare mocha, cappuccino, lattes, americanos, and macchiatos.
- As a stovetop coffee maker, the handles can get hot, leading to burns. The handles have heat resistant plastic that prevents you from burning. Also, it gives you a firm grip.
- Primula Aluminum Espresso has a safety-release valve, which helps in controlling the quality of your espresso.
- The material used for this espresso maker is aluminum. Its design helps with even distribution of heat.
- Primula Aluminum Espresso has a lid that has a temperature resistant knob.
Type of coffee maker
From the above list, you can identify some of the coffee machines available in the market. Here is a list of some of the most common types:
- Stovetop Coffee makers
This type of coffee maker is designed for use on stovetops only. It’s cost-effective and simple to use when preparing an espresso coffee drink.
A stovetop coffee maker machine produces crema, which is a result of water that passes through the coffee at high pressure.
- Single-serve coffee maker
With a single-serve coffee maker, you get to prepare a cup of coffee every time you need one. It’s fast and brews high-quality coffee like your barista. An example is the portable K-Cup coffee maker.
A single-serve coffee maker is convenient as it has an auto-drip feature. All you need to do is insert the coffee pod, add water, and press start to begin the brewing process.
- French Press coffee maker
To brew coffee using the french press coffee maker, you need finely ground coffee and boiling water. You add the boiling water and the ground coffee to the carafe or water reservoir.
Let the mixture steep for four minutes before pushing down the screen to separate the coffee grinds. The coffee brews below boiling point to prevent over-extraction.
For coffee users who love deep extraction, you can wait for more than the recommended four minutes. A major drawback with this coffee maker is that the coffee cools quickly.
- Espresso machine
Espresso machines come in various types. They can be automatic, manual, super-automatic, capsule, and fully-automatic. They have different prices and can be used to make espresso, cappuccino, lattes, and mocha.
This machine works by pushing water under high pressure through finely-ground coffee. The result is a high-quality coffee with a rich crema.
To brew a barista-level coffee at home, you need to invest in an espresso machine that has a frother, grinder, and digital temperature control.
- Cold brew coffee maker
To make a cold brew cup of coffee at home, you need a cold brew coffee maker. This type of coffee maker is for coffee lovers who prefer iced coffee.
To prepare a cold brew, you need to add cold water into finely ground coffee. You can also use water that is at room temperature. The coffee brews for some hours to fully extract the flavor.
The coffee maker has a filter that separates the ground coffee from the ready coffee. The brewed coffee can be stored for up to two weeks in a refrigerator.
Portable coffee maker FAQs
How do I clean a coffee maker?
The ease of cleaning is dependent on the machine. But, there are parts of the coffee machines that are dishwashable while others are not. Check on the instruction manuals before proceeding to clean.
Why does my coffee taste different?
First, there could be an issue with your coffee beans/ the pre-ground coffee. You can try coffee pods or use fresh ground coffee beans.
Also, you need to clean the coffee maker more often. There are coffee machines that allow users to descale, and others need regular cleaning.
Is a portable coffee maker worth it?
As a coffee lover, having a portable coffee maker can save you money that you should have spent on a cafe. As you plan to go for that vacation, camping, or office, having ready coffee should be a top priority.
A portable coffee maker does not limit you to home-made coffee, but it serves as an option for a lazy day. Make sure that you are keen to check the functionality, size, price, and durability of a coffee machine.
Which of the above portable coffee makers meets your coffee needs? Which machine have you tried already, and what was your experience?