Automatic or semi-automatic single serve coffee makers for making coffee and/or espresso are becoming more and more popular. The main advantages of these single serve coffee makers in comparison with fully automatic coffee makers (beans in cup coffee makers) are in less complexity, as well as in ensuring greater hygiene when using them.
Due to the reduction in their complexity compared to fully automatic coffee makers, such coffee makers like Keurig can be offered to the consumer at relatively affordable prices. The user can also easily operate them. In addition, the time required for brewing coffee is reduced, and the brewing process is simplified by eliminating the need for dosing of components, flavors, and additives from large containers.
9 BEST SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MAKERS
KEURIG K55 SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MAKER
This is one of the best single serve coffee maker that is easy to manage. With CoffeeDirect and oneTouch, you can froth milk and make coffee automatically with just one keystroke. The unique sensoFlow system will provide a rich taste and aroma. There is professional technology for the full disclosure of the aroma of your favorite coffee.
NESPRESSO PIXIE SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MAKER
The world’s smallest single serve coffee maker, in accordance with the latest trends and your unique taste, will become a bright accent in any space. The programmable Grand Cru cup volume, automatic shut-off, and unmatched material quality are combined in one PIXIE one cup coffee maker.
Nespresso supports capsule recycling in order to exploit the natural ability of aluminum to be recycled an infinite number of times, which make this unit one of the best single serve coffee maker. This initiative has already resulted in the production of side panels for PIXIE single serve coffee makers, which are made up of recycled Nespresso capsules by at least 98%.
In addition, these coffee machines consume 40% less energy than Class A coffee machines.
The Pixie coffee machine has won the “Red dot award: product design 2011” and “Good Design Award 2011”, as well, this unit is the leader among single serve coffee maker reviews.
NINJA COFFEE BAR SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MAKER
You can turn your own kitchen into a coffee shop using the Ninja Coffee Bar System. This single serve coffee maker has everything you need to make a cup of aromatic coffee. The coffee machine is used to prepare one serving of the drink, but if desired, more coffee can be prepared in it.
With one of the best single serve coffee maker 2019, you can prepare more cold and hot drinks. You can make coffee in one click. To do this, just select the cooking method and the required volume of the drink. The machine itself will do the rest.
ADIRCHEF GRAB N’ GO SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MAKER
This compact coffee machine is designed for easy and quick preparation of delicious espresso and lungo based on AdirChef coffee capsules.
Ease of use, ease of operation, versatile, and stylish design – these are the main advantages of this model. The machine is equipped with two coffee modes: Espresso and Lungo.
BLACK & DECKER DCM18S SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MAKER
Stylish 1 cup coffee maker is an apparatus for making real Italian espresso (small coffee) and Americano (large coffee) at home.
For the preparation of each drink, a separate button is created, marked with understandable symbols, which greatly simplifies the process of preparing drinks. Coffee is brewed at a professional pressure of 19 bar. The speed of making espresso coffee is about 25 ml (25 seconds), and Americano coffee is about 40 ml (45 seconds).
Functionality, simplicity, and ease of management are undoubted advantages of this one of the best single serve coffee maker.
HAMILTON BEACH 49981A
The best k cup coffee maker from Hamilton combines high build quality, design, and unique technology for simple coffee preparation. It has a fully automated spout that prevents coffee from spilling over the edge of your cup. The spout moves up or down depending on the choice of coffee: up if you make a lungo and down if you prefer espresso. Hamilton turns gourmet coffee into espresso, lungo, and cappuccino, the aroma of which will make you forget everything else.
Another unit that enters this list to be the best one cup coffee maker is designed for true coffee connoisseurs. After all, with its help, you can make delicious coffee. Furthermore, the cooking process is fully functional and practical. The sleek body and compact design blend perfectly with any interior. It perfectly combines style and practicality.
There is a water level sensor, and if it is not enough, the coffee machine will let you know. Similarly, with the waste container – you will be reminded. And even if there is a lot of water in the pan, a float will pop up.
What we noticed first when observing this model that pretends to be the best k-cup coffee maker is a functional and practical design.
Thanks to the patented brewing system with three pressure parameters – each coffee is prepared, maximally revealing the taste and aroma.
Three buttons on the panel are three levels of brewing pressure – Espresso (highest), Cream – coffee with foam (medium), and Filter coffee (low pressure).
Keurig K-Select coffee maker is a decent unit for coffee and coffee drinks. Equipped with a special optical reading system capable of recognizing the barcode present on each Keurig capsule. Thanks to this advanced system, the machine will be able to offer a dosage for each drink exactly as intended by the manufacturer to reveal all the advantages of a blend of coffee or tea.
SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MAKER PRODUCT GUIDE
HOW TO BUY THE BEST SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MAKERS
ELECTRIC OR GRAVITY-POWERED
The main difference between an Electric processor and a Gravity-Powered coffee machine is the presence of an integrated coffee grinder on the Electric machine. In other words, an Electric machine is called a single serve coffee machine in the case of which an electric coffee grinder is mounted. This fact allows you to use both ground and grain coffee for the preparation of the drink.
When choosing an espresso machine, you should pay attention to the material and design of the coffee grinder mechanism. It is worth giving preference to devices with ceramic millstones, as coffee grinders with fast-rotating metal knives burn the coffee and spoil the taste of the prepared coffee.
There is no point in saying anything in more detail about the principle of operation and in detail describing the design features. This is the same one cup coffee machine. The same serving, the same advantages, and the same drawbacks as the Gravity-Powered coffee machine.
This type of Gravity-Powered coffee machine can be recommended to people drinking a small amount of coffee per day, bars, and restaurants with low traffic.
K-CUPS OR NOT K-CUPS
No wonder there are many ways to make coffee. One of them is to use a special capsule (K-Cups) with ground coffee inside. A capsule coffee machine allows you to make delicious coffee in seconds, from unpacking to the disposal of used coffee.
The K-Cups are immersed one at a time in a special compartment in the coffee machine. After closing the lid, a thorn piercer pierces the K-Cup. Through this hole, the hot water gets into the capsule under very high pressure, boils all the caffeine and nutrients from the coffee, and a strong, saturated espresso or any other coffee drink gets into your cup, depending on what is in the capsule and what setting you set the coffee machine.
This type of coffee has several advantages:
- The first and most important thing is the high quality of the drink, because coffee before you get inside to blend on professional industrial equipment. The grinding is the same and often very fine, which allows you to brew coffee in the best way. Also, in a K-Cup, the dose of coffee always corresponds to the ideal.
- The second, but no less important plus is the simplicity and speed of preparing a coffee drink. You need to put the K-Cups in the right place, press the button, and voila! The coffee is ready!
After preparation, there is no need to wash and clean the coffee maker every time. The K-Cups are automatically removed in a special compartment of spent capsules.
The cooking process is very quiet, as there is no need to grind coffee. The drink will always be aromatic because the container does not allow the ground coffee to weather.
Also, a great advantage is the ability to experiment with tastes, if you have not yet chosen a particular blend.
The challenge of choosing between these two options is defined by the so-called harm for the environment derived from these cups.
Making recyclable items is really just a consolation prize. Most recycled plastics do not become objects of one type (for example, a bottle becomes another bottle). They end up as play equipment and plastic lumber. The cycle is not closed. And even if it were closed, there is still a lot of energy and resources involved in the processing. It is much better to reduce the amount of waste generated (recycled, disposed of or composted). The three Rs (reduction, reuse, recycling) are in this order for a reason. Recycling is a last resort.
PODS OR CAPSULES
There is no exact difference between these two options. The only diversity lies in the fact that they have different shapes that contribute to the ease of operating and storing. The same is equal.
THE ADVANTAGES OF CAPSULES AND PODS
- Ease of making coffee. There is no recipe or clear sequence of actions to be followed. A person only needs to place the capsule inside and press the necessary button. If the machine is multi-functional, then the button will select the type of drink, if the only espresso is being prepared, the button will simply turn on the machine.
- Cooking speed. In a capsule coffee machine, the drink is prepared for no more than 40 seconds, and if you pour water into the container in advance, the whole process from turning on to the first sip will fit in 1 minute. It is very convenient in the mornings when there is no time to conjure coffee for a long time, and indeed it is quite pleasant. Speed didn’t bother anyone yet.
- Container volume. A large container of coffee makers allows you to immediately make coffee for the whole family or for guests, while the Turk is designed for 1 person. This is another item indicating the speed of the coffee machine.
- Stylish design. For a modern kitchen, a coffee machine is not only a useful appliance but also an element of the interior. Many capsule machines are generally created with original and unusual designs, and there is a huge demand for them.
- Automation. This is the last, but far from the most insignificant of the advantages of capsule machines. After pressing a button, a person simply does not intervene in the process. His work on this is finished, it remains only to wait until the machine has finished its part.
- A wide selection of drinks. The unit allows you to make espresso, cappuccino, latte, chocochino, tea, cocoa, and even soup!
DISADVANTAGES OF CAPSULE MACHINES
- High price. This is undoubtedly the main problem of capsule coffee. One serving costs 2-2.5 times more than a serving of coffee in a Turk. Cheap capsule machines exist, and they give good results in quality, but capsules for them are still relatively expensive.
- Dimensions. Of course, the capsule coffee machine is much more compact and portable than other models. But compared with the small Turk, it still takes up a lot of space.
- Less saturated taste of the coffee. This is a controversial drawback because many say that in a capsule machine, coffee is tastier and more aromatic than manually brewed coffee. But still there is such an opinion, and many distinguish it as a drawback.
If you really love coffee, then you will come in handy and capsule machine – for a quick coffee in the morning, and pod – for leisurely day rituals. It is not at all necessary to choose one thing if you can enjoy both the inventions of mankind.
HOW DO YOU CLEAN A SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MAKER?
STANDARD METHOD – MANUAL FLUSHING
In the meantime, it is worth noting that the manual washing method works quite well. Unlike ordinary coffee makers, which it is advisable to wash every day, the single serve coffee machine can be washed once every 1-2 weeks. It does not need to be washed more often since the machine becomes dirty very slowly and generally keeps its cleanliness for a long time.
The main elements that need to be washed:
- hopper in which the capsule is installed;
- container for capsules (it is only on machines with auto-removal of capsules);
- cappuccino tube (of course, if present);
- boiler compartment (scale may appear in it from time to time).
Give your single serve coffee machine about 15 minutes every week, and it will be in perfect order! But washing should not be completely ignored, because without cleaning the machine will begin to deteriorate faster, and its service life will be quite short. In addition, residues of milk and coffee inside the appliance are able to oxidize, and this should not be allowed.
COMPLETE FLUSHING OF THE COFFEE MACHINE
For deeper descaling, a complete flush will be required. In professional models, a special indicator will notify you of this. In all other cases, it is recommended to conduct it at certain intervals. The washing itself consists of 2 parts: the washing and rinsing itself.
You must complete the following steps:
- Pour the decalcifier solution into the water tank. In extreme cases, a solution of citric acid is also suitable, but in this case, you need to be as careful as possible!
- Prepare a container for the dispenser and the steam pipe (if available).
- Next, enter the flushing mode. Usually, it’s enough to press a combination of 2-3 keys. If this is not possible, the spill is carried out manually, holding the coffee brewing key.
- Now rinse. To remove the remaining cleaning agent, rinse the tank and fill it with water again. Carry out a small strait and – voila! Your coffee machine is clean.
Some manufacturers even produce special capsules for washing the coffee machine. Now we will talk about it.
HOW DOES THIS CAPSULE WORK?
Cleaning your coffee machine with the capsule is a very simple process. Consider it in stages:
- You put the capsule in the machine just like you would put the capsule with your favorite coffee there.
- The capsule cleans the brewing chamber of your coffee machine for 2 minutes, conducting unique foaming inside the chamber. The foam absorbs all the old remainder of the coffee grounds and other elements and then displays it when the button is pressed.
- After 2 minutes, the coffee machine is completely clean.
- This is the most convenient way to clean the machine while receiving additional effectively.
GENERAL RULES FOR USE
In order for the coffee machine to serve as long as possible and not cause complaints, it is important to observe several rules:
- you need to wash the machine by hand at least once every 2 weeks, and if you use it daily, then once a week;
- every 3-4 months you need to carry out full-scale work to remove scale from all places, including the most inaccessible;
- no need to use fake capsules, because they spoil the machine, create more scale and thereby reduce the service life;
- analog capsules can be used, but care must be taken to ensure they are of high quality.
Capsule coffee machines will be interesting to all people who love real coffee. But they will also appeal to those who have on their agenda the need to reduce the time spent on brewing an invigorating drink. The capsule machine allows you to make a cup of aromatic espresso in just 30 seconds, and cleaning the machine is a huge time saver. The appliance needs to be washed far from every day, and in some cases, even not every week.
If the capsule cleaner is not suitable for your coffee machine, this is not a problem. The main thing is to be careful and timely wash the unit. There are only 2 things to avoid – a large scum and fake capsules with coffee. Timely cleaning and the use of high-quality capsules will allow you not to experience any problems!