A manual coffee grinder is a kind of mill that is more suitable for coffee lovers who will not spare time to prepare this fantastic drink. The main advantage of this device is that the grains and ground coffee do not heat up, thereby, retaining all the benefits of the drink.
The handheld coffee grinder is a subject of judges of coffee. For such people, it is crucial not only to drink coffee but also to enjoy the process of its preparation. And one of the stages is the grinding of coffee beans. It is enough to imagine the aroma that spreads with every movement of the hand throughout the house, and immediately you want to opt for the best hand crank coffee grinder. But do not forget – an average of 1-5 minutes for grinding coffee for 1 cup. And whether you are able to spend 5 extra minutes, so you’re welcome to our guide of hand grinder coffee.
Amazing coffee grinder with 38mm metal millstones. The coffee mill grinder is designed in such a way that even a child can disassemble it. This facilitates the process of its operation, as well as cleaning — fine adjustment of grinding from the Turks to the French press. The already amazing speed of grinding the grain can be increased at the expense of a conventional screwdriver.
Smooth grinding, there is no dust on average and coarse grinding, visually the particles are well distinguishable. Very quick, 18g of coffee in 40-60 seconds at a quiet pace, a very pleasant feeling in your hands, an extra minute of pleasure from the very process of grinding coffee.
An additional bonus is excellent craft, bearings for a smooth ride, a nice ball pen, a brush and a pear for cleaning in a set, a tight cloth bag for traveling along with a hand grinder. Strict and expensive-looking packaging, everything inside is neatly laid out in its branches.
Perhaps not a 100% convenient idea with a container for ground coffee, harsh, there is a chance to pull it down and spill the coffee sharply. But you could gently pull-unscrew the container by pressing your thumb into the corrugated ring, the usual thread, in our opinion, would be more convenient.
Porlex Mini is one of the most interesting manual coffee grinders presented in the budget coffee equipment sector. Stylish metal case, incredible practicality, and durability – not all the advantages of this device.
Like its “big brother” (Porlex Tall), this grinder boasts a sturdy polished stainless steel case and high-quality ceramic millstones. Such a case reliably protects the working mechanism from various damages, and the glossy surface will retain an attractive appearance for a long time. Compact dimensions and robust housing make the Porlex Mini an ideal road grinder. It is convenient to take with you on trips. Armed with an AeroPress, you can enjoy your favorite coffee under any circumstances (in nature, at the resort – anytime, anywhere).
What makes it different from the Tall model?
First, the dimensions. It is smaller and more compact, which absolutely does not affect its performance and the quality of the grinding. Secondly, the presence of a silicone rim, which increases the comfort of working with the hand burr grinder: it is convenient to hold in hand; it does not even slip out of wet hands. The owner will appreciate the speed and simplicity of the process of washing, as well as a practical removable handle.
Orphan Espresso Lido 3
Compared to its elder brother Lido 3 is lightweight by 600 g. LIDO 2 with antistatic capacity for ground coffee made of plastic.
At the top of the grinder has a massive metal handle, painted in “matt chrome.” In the middle, the handle is attached to the body with a single bolt.
At the bottom, there are 2 rings with thread. The large ring is adjusting; its rotation changes the height of the small millstone with respect to the large stationary one. This concerns the type of grinding. The smaller ring allows you to fix the selected settings so that they do not get lost. For this, it is necessary to tighten.
The container for grains of thick transparent plastic with conical inserts of metal is connected to the remaining parts of the grinder with bolts, 4 on each side.
Lids for containers are not provided, but “coffee salute” when making coffee is unlikely to happen. It is very convenient to fill the grains in the grinder due to the large diameter and depth containers.
Through the entire body, 2 small bronze bushings an axis passes, to which a small millstone is attached. The small millstone is rigidly fixed and does not “hang out” during use, which is the “Achilles heel” of most hand grinders and greatly reduces the quality of grinding.
Hario Skerton Pro
Ceramic millstones of the legendary Japanese Hario Skerton is the most inexpensive option to get grind coffee at home. If you have seen the price of electric mill grinders, then you understand what it is about.
Why choose Skerton in Pro version?
- The shaft is fixed on top with additional struts for grinding stability
- the shaft is spring loaded for all the same stability and predictability of grinding. Fits perfectly even for espresso coffee makers.
- The regulator with the clicker at the bottom allows you to easily change the grinding without parsing, as it was in previous versions.
- High performance. No need for 5 minutes to wave the handle to grind 2 cups of coffee.
- The handle can be removed by simply moving it up, without lock nuts and so on. The handle itself is stainless and super durable.
- The cover of the hopper for grains on top is now no longer silicone but plastic.
- The rubber bottom of the bunker will allow grinding without sliding on flat surfaces.
- The joint between the handle and the shaft is now made in the form of an M6 nut.
The product feels designed to be used at home, kitchen, or in a professional cafe setting. Can be used for travel, but takes up more space than the average hand grinder. Very premium, well-built product that offers a very consistent grind. Good collection piece for your coffee enthusiast friends or loved ones.
- Grind Consistency – Very consistent particle size. Finest grind setting matches that of a $500 automatic machine.
- Adjustment Ring – Easy to use, adjust grind settings easily without removing the bottom container like most compact hand-grinders.
- Vertical Handle – Premium coffee-grinding experience. The vertical handle feels natural to use. The grinder is more suitable placed on a flat surface, with your other hand securing it. The wood handle is a very nice touch! Doesn’t feel cheap.
- Solid Construction – No wobbling at all. Solidly built and has a heavy spring in the axle that keeps the burr aligned. The product came in with a set of washers for ultra-fine calibration.
- Elegant Design – Beautiful product! Looks nice on a kitchen countertop.
How Manual Grinder Works
True connoisseurs of coffee know that coffee should be drunk only freshly ground. Bought ground coffee does not have that unique taste and aroma, as the aromatic oils evaporate and dry over time. Moreover, after each opening of the package, the fragrance will erode. Although there are many people, who do not spend much time preparing a drink and brewed already ground coffee or drink instant drinks.
The process takes about 15-20 minutes, which, at first glance, a lot. But in this way, coffee is treated with particular care. Thanks to this method, grinding coffee retains all its aromatic properties.
To make aromatic coffee, it is necessary to prepare high-quality coffee beans, use a coffee grinder that will gently and evenly grind these beans, and also brew the drink properly. A manual coffee grinder, like nothing better, will make a perfect grinding of the beans and will retain the useful composition of coffee in full.
Why do I need a manual coffee grinder? A true coffee lover wants to take part in the whole process of making coffee. He also wants to do everything manually, under his own supervision.
The principle of operation of all manual coffee grinders is simple – you pour grain into the hand grinder, twist the handle, and get the finished powder at the exit.
How to Choose a Manual Coffee Grinder
So, you have decided that you need the best manual burr grinder.
But which one to choose?
The answer to this question depends entirely on another question – “What kind of coffee and what are you brewing with?“.
The manual coffee grinder is suitable only for those who care not only about the drink itself, but also the process of its preparation. Not everyone is able to twist the handle in the morning for a few minutes. But true coffee lovers see certain magic in it. When grinding at very high speeds, the grains heat up and, if the heating temperature is too high, the coffee is burned through and starts to taste bitter. Plus, when heated, essential oils begin to stand out in a coffee grinder, and not in a coffee maker. And the taste of coffee is significantly lost.
When choosing, pay attention to how the grains are crushed. They can fray, chop, and split. Best of all, when the grain fray, because at the same time, the essential oils from the grain are practically not lost and are completely converted into coffee powder. The most undesirable option is chopping since the grain structure is disturbed, and the taste of coffee is much worse.
What you should pay attention to when choosing a manual coffee grinder:
- Millstones. Personally, we advise ceramic millstones. The price is not much more expensive than cast iron, but you can use such a coffee grinder for a very long time. If means allow, then choose a coffee grinder boldly with a stone millstone. The only drawback is that there are only a few models on the market, so there are no alternatives.
- Type of shell. It depends entirely on your personal preferences. For connoisseurs of coffee, a coffee grinder is not just a tool, but also a beautiful item. If you don’t like to keep things in sight or you don’t have a lot of space in the kitchen, then you should like the Turkish coffee grinder – it takes up little space, is very practical, but at the same time, it doesn’t prevent it from being beautiful oriental. Handheld coffee grinder without a casing is a clean practice for which appearance is not important, but only functional.
- Change the fineness of grinding. Changing the fineness of grinding allows you to grind coffee of any fineness for different purposes – from a large fraction for a French press to a dusty state for the Turks. Which option is preferable? This will depend on the type of housing you prefer. There is no particular difference between them.
- Handle location. In order to understand this, simply twist the knob of the coffee grinder you have selected. Look at how comfortable the handle is in your hand and whether it is convenient for you to rotate it. In general, no matter how strange it seems, but with the side handle the grinder is more convenient. First, they are more stable, because the force on the grinder is from top to bottom, and not from left to right, and they do not drive around the table. Secondly, turning the handle on the side is easier, because when torsion of such a handle, stronger muscles of the shoulder and back work, and when using the handle from above, only the muscles of the arm work.
- Body material. It depends on your personal preference.
- Grain container. Volume depends on what kind of coffee you drink. So, for making 100 ml of coffee in a Turk, a french press or a filter coffee maker, you need about 7-8 grams per 100 ml of water. For espresso, it takes 7-8 grams per 30 ml of water. If 2 people drink coffee in the family, then a capacity of 20-30 grams is sufficient. If there are 10 people in the family and they all drink coffee, or it is more convenient for you to store coffee in a coffee grinder, then take it with a capacity of up to 100 grams. Larger capacity is undesirable – it is still best to store coffee in special packages in order to reduce its contact with oxygen.
- Capacity for the finished powder. In your choice, proceed from the volume of the tank for the grains – their volumes are interconnected.
Manual vs. Electric Coffee Grinder
The advantage of manual compared to electric coffee grinders is that the grinding process is slow, which does not burn the grains. Such devices do not require a lot of costs since their cost is rather low. They are also very easy to operate and durable. One portion of ground coffee is small – as much as needed for one brewing. Grinding coffee beans will be almost uniform.
Thus, connoisseurs of delicious coffee, who prefer to see or take part in the process of making coffee, should definitely buy a manual coffee grinder. Only self-made coffee will be especially fragrant, tasty, and invigorating. It is especially nice if such a drink is prepared by a loved one with his own hands.