Vacuum technology comes from Italy, from the very beginning of the 20th century. Descendants of the genus Bialetti discovered it.
True connoisseurs say that coffee from a vacuum coffee maker has its own special qualities. It is softer and velvety. And therefore, as well as espresso, has found its followers and admirers.
Let’s introduce you our rating of the best positions concerning vacuum pot coffee maker, based on customer reviews, as well as the opinions of market experts.
The Yama Glass Stovetop Coffee Siphon
- Device protection against short circuit and overheating;
- Cool Handle;
- Detailed and clear instructions.
- Plastic parts require careful handling
- Short life
HARIO Technica Coffee Siphon
Very nice looking coffee maker, it looks quality. This coffee syphon brewer reeks coffee fanatic if anyone sees it in your house. As far as it is Japanese made, so it has Japanese writing on the box, but one thing good is it has English as well. The problem is, however, that it has serious a design flaw. Grounds leak from the top into the coffee in the bottom, and so you have to pour it through a filter before drinking.
- Longer official warranty from the manufacturer;
- Heat insulated base, leaving no marks on the surface of the table;
- Simple one-button operation.
- Grounds leak from the top into the coffee in the bottom
- Need to wash the cloth filter and rinse the two bowls carefully
NISPIRA Belgian Balance Syphon
Gorgeous to look at, makes an astoundingly good vacuum coffee, and just watching it function as the water transfers from the boiler to the carafe. The weight shifts, automatically extinguishing the flame and then, the magic happens.
The Thermo Cycle kicks in, and it draws all the coffee back into the empty boiler ready for serving. No transistors, no Wi-Fi, no Bluetooth just absolutely brilliant simple mechanical genius.
- Pointed nose for a comfortable pouring into the cup;
- According to customers, you can try to brew not only ground but also instant coffee;
- Quite a massive stand provides stability to the siphon coffee maker.
- After a year of almost daily use, the plastic spigot handle can break off rendering the coffee maker inoperative.
Bodum PEBO Coffee Maker
The Bodum Pebo uses the vacuum method to make excellent-tasting coffee. Some people complain about this making weaker coffee if they follow the directions. However, most people don’t realize that when using European products, much of the time when it comes to coffee the “cup” they refer to is approximately 4 ounces. That also explains how a “6-8 cup” coffee maker only makes about 3-4 cups in terms of our coffee cups.
This siphon pot makes the smoothest cup of coffee ever, and it’s fun to use, like a science experiment.
- Absolute transparency of the cooking process thanks to the glass case;
- A significant amount of water flask – 1 litre.
- Short life due to glass
Yama Glass 5 Cup Tabletop Ceramic 20-ounce Siphon
The manufacturer has made an honest attempt to make this unit pretty, with the floral scrolling in the base and its overall design. Even so, the first impression is that it’s a bit rickety-looking. The screw-on uprights move a bit, and the whole thing flexes in a mildly unnerving way.
It is a good value for the money, it hits its design goal beautifully, and for average coffee lover it has stood up to a lot of use. It does everything it is purported to do, and of course, it makes outstanding according to reviews siphon brew.
- Modern design, “expensive” look;
- The handle and lid are equipped with heat resistant inserts;
- Very compact dimensions.
- After a few weeks into usage, it starts getting a nasty flavor note
What is a coffee vacuum pot
Each method of making coffee is unique in its own way and has some advantages. However, a vacuum coffee maker is perhaps the most original device, which has no analogues either in design or in principle of operation. The main advantage of the drink, obtained in it, is to preserve the maximum amount of aromatic and beneficial substances. That is why gourmets and aesthetes highly appreciate it.
This interesting device partly resembles a geyser coffee maker and a French press; however, due to the constant heating of water, the color of the drink turns out to be more saturated, and due to filtration there is no sediment in the cup. The vacuum brewer is rather unknown, but it has a long history. The principle of operation, known in antiquity, was first used to make coffee in the nineteenth century and improved only in the middle of the past.
Design of siphon coffee maker
The design of a modern vacuum coffee maker includes:
- two interconnected flasks of a certain form made of thin borosilicate glass;
- gas burner;
- fine mesh nylon filter;
The design is usually performed in a retro or hi-tech style, which allows you to choose a brand not only for its technical characteristics but also for aesthetic preferences. For the best vacuum coffee makers, some items are made by hand so that they can cost as a household coffee machine. This is partly the reason why this device is not widely spread but remained a subject of luxury and collectibles. Enthusiastic reviews of the best models, as well as good coffee, are passed from mouth to mouth.
How Siphon Coffee Maker Works
The principle of vacuum technology is as follows: water, heated in an airtight lower container through a funnel, goes up to the compartment with ground coffee and, passing through it, is saturated with taste and aroma, revealing and passing the finest nuances of this invigorating drink. Then, water soaked in coffee extract rises into the upper bowl and, like a siphon, fills it. The coffee is ready.
What to look at when choosing a vacuum coffeepot
The technology of making coffee in a syphon way remained almost unchanged. Pleasant additions were added: power supply from electricity, increase in capacity (previously, such coffee pots were most often designed only for 1-2 cups), a timer, a sound alert, and temperature maintenance.
The disadvantage of vacuum devices is that to charge the coffee maker with a new batch of coffee, it needs to be disassembled. Immediately make it problematic, because the case is still hot. Therefore, in order not to wait for “recharge”, you need to buy a vacuum pot coffee, the capacity of which is sufficient for all family members, fans of a coffee drink.
The power of the device ranges from a few hundred watts to several kilowatts. The more power, the less wait for the readiness of coffee. The smaller the power, the longer the cooking process takes, and the more water comes into contact with the coffee particles, the richer the drink turns out. Choose more important for yourself. The power of the device also depends on the volume of the bowl.
If you buy a vacuum coffee machine with the expectation of long-term use, it is important to remember that the sealing rings for hermetic assembly of the coffee maker have to be changed from time to time. And it is better to ask immediately: does this or that manufacturer offer replacement parts?
How to Use Siphon to Make Coffee
Due to the unusual design of the device and the process of making coffee in a vacuum coffee maker is reminiscent of the experiment of an alchemist. At the same time, it is very simple, it does not require any skills and preliminary preparation:
- Fill the bottom flask with water almost to the neck;
- Light the burner and place it under the lower flask;
- While the water is heated in the upper flask we put inside finely ground coffee powder at the rate of one teaspoon per cup of the finished beverage;
- While raising the water with a spoon, slightly stir the coffee so that the powder will quickly become wet and the bouquet will open;
- After boiling water stop stirring and for 4 minutes just watching the “progress of the experiment”;
- At the expiration of this time, turn off and remove the burner;
- We wait until the coffee is completely lowered into the lower flask, and then remove the top and remove the filter;
- Aromatic and without impurities, the drink is ready to drink. Thanks to the shaped stand, which serves as the basis of the whole structure, it is convenient to pour it into the cup.
What happens in the process of making coffee in siphon brewer
When heated, part of the water from the lower flask evaporates into the upper flask. There, because of the lower temperature, the steam turns back into the water and soaks the coffee powder. After the cessation of heating, the temperature in the lower flask also drops, and water returns to it, but in the form of coffee. The coffee grounds remain in the filter. Depending on the volume of the flasks in this way, you can prepare a one-time from 200 to 1000 ml of drink.
Despite the fact that even a child can figure out how to use a coffee siphon, this device is not made for mass consumption, so the range and number of brands on the market are limited.
Why coffee syphon brewer manufacturers are limited on the market
The unusual shape makes the vacuum coffee maker extraordinary. The same is the taste of coffee, which is obtained in it. Of course, to achieve the best result, it is necessary to choose high-quality and always freshly roasted grains of varieties with a high content of aromatic substances.
Vacuum coffee maker will take pride of place among household appliances for those who:
- appreciates the process of making coffee
- loves experiments
- seeks to disclose the bouquet of each blend fully.
In addition, it is a wonderful and original gift for real gourmets and coffee connoisseurs who still do not know what a vacuum coffee maker is. In addition to being an eco-friendly and functional device, it can also serve as an unusual and eye-catching interior detail in a kitchen or in a coffee shop.
Tools needed to brew coffee in coffee syphon
This brewing method will require an independent heat source. Some siphons are designed specifically for cooking stoves, others come in a set with spirit stoves. Spirit lamp can be replaced by a small gas burner. In Japan and in some specialized coffee shops they prefer halogen lamps. It is not the most efficient source of heat, but it looks fantastic.
Some mix coffee with small bamboo spatulas, but they give no particular effect, an ordinary spoon will cope with this task perfectly. Of course, it is nice to have a special set of accessories for the coffee ceremony, but one cannot say that they somehow influence the taste of the final drink.
In classical siphons, the fabric filter in which the metal disk is turned is used. It is important to keep the filter clean. After each use, rinse thoroughly with hot water. If you do not use the filter for several days, rinse it with a special product.
Brewing coffee in a vacuum coffee maker
75 g / 1 litre for brewing in the siphon. Some prefer to use a little more ground coffee – most of all they do in Japan, where vacuum coffee makers are very common.
Medium / small. Since this is an immersion method, you can adjust the brewing time according to the grinding size. You should not grind the grain very finely, because such grinding can slow down the process of flow of the drink from the upper flask to the lower. With very large milling, it is necessary to increase the time and increase the brewing temperature,
as a result, the drink will turn out bitter.
- Pound the grains and weigh before brewing.
- Boil fresh water of weak mineralization in the kettle, which is suitable for brewing coffee.
- Place the filter in the upper flask, make sure they are flush.
- Place the lower flask on an electronic scale and pour the required amount of water, according to the proportions.
- Place the lower flask on the heating element (small gas burner, alcohol stove or halogen lamp).
- Put the upper vessel on the lower one, but do not close it yet. If you lower the lid too early, the expanding gases will push the water into the upper flask before it reaches the desired temperature, and the coffee will not taste good.
- When the water begins to boil, close the lid of the upper vessel. If using an adjustable heating element, reduce heat. At this time, boiling water will begin to rise. Make sure the filter is fixed exactly in the center; if it is uneven, bubbles will appear only on one side. Use a spatula or spoon to adjust the position of the filter.
- At first, the bubbling in the upper flask will be very active, with large bubbles. When the bubbles become smaller, you can add coffee. Pour ground coffee
- into the water and stir until it is evenly moistened with water. Set the timer.
- A crust forms on the surface. After waiting 30 seconds, gently stir it, so that this coffee is also brewed.
- After another 30 seconds, turn off the heating element. When the coffee begins to flow into the lower jar, gently mix it once clockwise and once counterclockwise so that the coffee particles do not adhere to the walls. However, if you interfere too intensely, most of the coffee will rise to the top, and extraction will take place unevenly.
- Let all the liquid drain. In the upper flask will remain thick, its shape resembles a dome. Pour the coffee into the coffee pot, as the residual heat of the flask can spoil the taste of the drink.
- Let the coffee cool. Cooked in this way, it turns out very hot.
To sum up, it should be stressed that coffee siphon brewers are really worth its money. After sampling another cup of this drink made in coffee vacuum pot you’ll forget about other devices that can’t bring such seductive aroma and tempting taste.