What makes an automatic espresso machine worthwhile? Is it the features, functionality, or the benefits that come with it?
With the word ‘automatic’, this tells you that the espresso machine automates the brewing process. In other words, it means less work for you.
As a barista, it will save you time and manual efforts when making espresso. There are different types of espresso machines available in the market.
It may be hard to choose from the various types, brands and features. Automatic espresso machines come with different prices and designs. There are portable espresso machines to use.
Automatic espresso machines are an investment. Therefore, you need to carry out extensive research before placing your order. And that’s what we do at Papas Coffee. We have buying guides that have detailed information on coffee beans, coffee machines, and brewing guides.
In this review, we’ll look at the top automatic espresso machines for coffee lovers.
Let’s dive in!
Types of Automatic Espresso Machines
Automatic espresso machines vary in their definition, functionality, and features. Types of espresso machines available in the market are fully automatic, super-automatic, and semi-automatic coffee machines.
It’s worth mentioning that not all espresso machines are automatic. There are manual espresso machines like the Flair Espresso maker. It is portable and has a lever to help the barista brew an espresso.
Fully automatic espresso machines.
A fully automatic espresso machine has an electronic pump that regulates the amount of water used for brewing. These espresso machines are suitable for cafes and home kitchen use.
To operate this type of machine, it comes with a set of buttons. Also, you can pre-program it to make espresso based on your preference.
Super automatic espresso machine
This machine acts as your barista. All you need to do is add water, coffee beans, and program it. It does all the work for you. However, it does not give you room to test your barista skills.
It will grind the coffee beans, tamp the ground coffee, froth the milk, and deliver a cup of desired beverage.
Semi automatic espresso machine
A semi-automatic machine lies between automatic and manual machines. It will automate some of the processes while it gives you room to test your skills.
You are in control of the brewing process. With this kind of machine, you can test your skills like latte art creation and tamping.
Here is a list of the pros and cons of the automatic machines.
|Type of Automatic Machine||Pros||Cons|
|Fully-automatic machine||Easy to use· They are affordable· Can be used for commercial purposes like cafes· Automates some of the brewing processes.||Some machines can be expensive· Less control over the flavor of your espresso|
|Super-automatic machine||Little skills required· Very fast and efficient· Has most features. For example, built-in grinder· Does all the brewing for you.||They are expensive· Takes the control out of your hands· Little room for creativity|
|Semi-automatic machine||Easy to use· Has a high-level of control· Cheaper than super-automatic machines· Has regulated water pressure and temperature.||Some of the machines are expensive.· May be tough to use.|
Parts of An Automatic Espresso Machine
There are parts that are common to all automatic espresso machines. Simply put, there are parts in a super-automatic machine that are not available in a fully-automatic machine.
Let’s have a look at the basic parts that make up an automatic espresso machine.
- Water/ milk reservoir
These are the basic features of an espresso machine. A water reservoir holds water and a milk reservoir holds milk. It’s that easy. A milk reservoir can be a carafe that can store milk in a fridge.
A portafilter holds the ground coffee for espresso brewing. A majority of the portafilters are of stainless steel material. They also come with different baskets. When you add the ground coffee, you need to tamp it evenly to allow full extraction.
The baskets to use with the portafilter can brew single or double shots of espresso. This depends on the baskets that come with the espresso machine.
- Pressure pump
A pressure pump is essential for coffee brewing. Automatic machines have different pressure pumps. The most common one is the 15-bar pressure.
It pumps water to the ground coffee in the portafilter. The water has to be at the right temperature for full flavor extraction.This results in high-quality and great tasting espresso.
- Steam wand
This foam is what makes espresso drinks and is also used to design latte art.
- Group head/ brew head
A group head is the primary part of the espresso machine where brewing takes place. In some automatic espresso machines, you can remove the group head and rinse it with tap water.
In other espresso machines, you need a cleaning tablet, to clean the machine.You add the tablet and the machine does the rest of the cleaning.
Top 15 Automatic Espresso Machines
As a coffee lover, having the right espresso machine helps you make quality shots of your favorite beverage. But how do you know if a specific espresso machine is the right one for you?
With so many automatic machines and brands, searching for a specific product can be very overwhelming. But, this should not worry you anymore.
Want to find more about automatic espresso machines? Looking for a gift to buy a loved one? Check out the list below.
Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
Philips 3200 Series makes five types of coffee. These are espresso, latte macchiato, cappuccino, Americano, and coffee. With the espresso machine, you do not require a coffee grinder.
It has a 12-settings grinder, which you can set from ultra-fine to coarse grind. But, this does not limit you from using ground coffee. Philips 3200 comes with a measuring scoop.
The espresso machine has a touchscreen for the user interface.
- Water hardness test strip: this feature helps to adjust to the water texture.
- AquaClean filter: it deactivates the descale feature. The machine also alerts you when to change the filter. You can brew up to 5000 cups of coffee before changing the AquaClean filter.
- LatteGo milk system: in the frothing chamber, the LatteGo mixes air and milk at a high speed. This results in a creamy layer that is at the right temperature.
- Touchscreen display: it helps the barista enter instructions with a touch of a button.
- My Coffee choice menu: this feature allows you to set the quantity and strength of your coffee. It has three settings that let you make a choice to suit your preference.
- Ceramic grinder: the grinder can crush fresh aromatic coffee for at least 20,000 cups.
2. Breville BES990BSS Oracle Touch Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
Breville Oracle Touch makes five customizable coffee drinks in three simple steps. These are swipe, select, and enjoy. You can make a flat white, cappuccino, latte, Americano, and espresso.
The Breville Oracle has the features of the next generation super-automatic coffee machine. It automates every process with a touchscreen display.
The Breville Oracle Touch comes with an integrated conical burr grinder. It automatically grinds and tamps 22 grams of coffee for the brewing process.
- Precise water temperature: the Breville Oracle Touch has digital temperature control (PID) that maintains an optimal temperature for espresso brewing.
- Over Pressure Valve (OPV): it helps control the maximum pressure throughout the extraction process, preventing the bitter flavor in coffee shots.
- Steam pressure: with a dedicated steam boiler, the steam pressure textures milk, producing a silky micro-foam at the right temperature. It’s essential for latte arts.
- Dose amount: the integrated conical burr grinder grinds and stamps 22 grams of coffee.
- Customizable settings: the Breville Oracle Touch allows you to customize and save eight coffee choices with a unique name and picture.
3. Saeco PicoBaristo Super Automatic Espresso Machine
The PicoBaristo espresso machine has a ceramic grinder that prevents the coffee grinding from overheating and tasting burnt. The coffee grinder has a 10-settings, ranging from the finest grind for espresso to coarse grind.
The espresso machine has an AquaClean filter. You can brew up to 5,000 cups of coffee without having to descale. PicoBaristo allows you to choose a coffee drink from the fifteen available options.
You can also customize a drink and save it on either of the six user profiles. To interact with the super-automatic espresso machine, it comes with a backlit touchscreen display.
- Removable brewing group: this helps to clean the machine parts. It also helps to grind fresh coffee beans at the touch of a button.
- Quick heat boiler: the espresso machine heats up faster, allowing you to brew an espresso one cup after another.
- AquaClean filter: with this filter, you do not have to keep descaling the machine.
- Coffee customization: choose coffee strength from the five different settings. In addition, select the temperature and length of your brew.
- Memo function: this feature allows you to save a customized drink.
- Ceramic grinders with 10-settings: you can adjust the intensity of your coffee grind for full flavor extraction.
4. De’Longhi ESAM3300 Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine
The De’Longhi ESAM3300 grinds whole coffee beans to brew coffee. You can also use pre-ground coffee or decaf to make a cup of coffee. The coffee bean container has a capacity of 8.8 ounces.
With the easy-to-use control panel, it helps you adjust the temperature, size, and coffee strength. The De’Longhi ESAM3300 has a manual cappuccino system that mixes milk and steam to make a thick foam.
- The super-automatic machine has a manual frother that creates thick foam for textured drinks like lattes and cappuccino.
- Professional steel burr grinder: with thirteen adjustable settings, the grinder grinds coffee beans for maximum extraction.
- Customized espresso drinks: this means that you do not have to enter the settings each time you need a cup of espresso. The machine remembers your options.
- Removable waste bin and drip tray: it makes it easy for cleaning.
- To operate the machine, it has a rotary switch and a push button.
5. Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine
Breville BES870XL is the best automatic espresso machine with interchangeable filters. The espresso machine has a conical burr grinder that grinds the right dose of 19-22 grams of coffee.
This machine gives you control of the grind size, grind amount, and allows you to choose a single or double shot. The Barista Express is both automatic and manual.
- Dose control grinder: the Barista Express has an integrated conical burr grinder that grinds coffee into the portafilter.
- Micro-foam milk texture: the Barista express has a steam wand that allows you to hand-texture milk for latte art and enhances the flavor of your drink.
- Digital temperature control (PID): the PID delivers water at the right temperature for optimal espresso extraction.
- Grind-size dial: this feature gives you full control over the grind size.
6. Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee Machine
With this machine, you do not have to worry about your skills. The Gaggia Anima Prestige is your barista. It is a super-automatic machine with programmable brewing.
To make cappuccinos and lattes, the Gaggia Anima Prestige has an auto-frothing carafe and six buttons. The machine has a large capacity, with a 60oz water reservoir and an 8.8oz beans hopper.
In case the barista forgets to power off the machine, it goes into low energy mode after one hour. This machine has a sleek design, a stainless steel front panel, and a programmable menu.
- Temperature control: to make your drink right, you can choose the brewing temperature from the three available settings.
- Removable milk carafe: in case of leftover milk, you can remove the carafe to store the milk in a refrigerator.
- Removable brew group: it makes it easy for cleaning.
- Simple interface: the Gaggia Anima Prestige has six buttons to help the barista brew a list of drinks.
- Bean hopper: the Gaggia Anima Prestige has a ceramic burr grinder to grind whole coffee beans. It also has a bypass doser that allows you to use pre-ground coffee.
- Gaggia adapting system: this feature helps the coffee machine adapt to the coffee and adjust to the grinder operation. The machine adapts to the bean type.
7. KRUPS EA8250 Fully Auto Espresso Machine
KRUPS delivers hot drinks like creamy cappuccinos, balanced espresso, flavored tea, and hot chocolate. It has a large bean hopper that stores your coffee beans and keeps them fresh for a long time.
KRUPS automatic espresso machine has a unique patented thermoblock system. It performs various functions. It preheats the espresso machine faster, guarantees perfect temperature, fast extraction, and a hot cup in each brew.
- Conical burr grinder: it grinds coffee into different sizes. For instance, it has a finer grind size for espresso and a coarse grind size for coffee.
- LCD screen display: it also has a knob that helps you navigate the menu and make a selection.
- KRUPS has a large bean hopper that is 0.6lb. It keeps your coffee beans fresh.
- It has a 15-bar pump pressure.
8. Gevi Espresso Machines
By investing in an espresso machine, you get to enjoy quality cups of espresso-style drinks in the comfort of your home or office. Also, it helps improve your barista skills and brew coffee that satisfies your taste buds.
Gevi Espresso Machine has three functions to choose. These are manual, one shot, and two shot. As for the manual, you are in control of the brewing. One shot brews about 30ml of coffee, and two shot brew about 60 ml of coffee.
- The 20-bar pressure pump provides stable extraction.
- Thermoblock heating system: Gevi has an advanced 1350W thermoblock heating system that continues to brew espresso or froth milk.
- Intelligent temperature control system: Gevi has two thermostats. One controls the temperature of espresso extraction, and the second thermostat controls the milk froth temperature.
- Stable steam control: the espresso machine has a stainless steel steam wand that froths milk for latte, espresso, and macchiato.
9. Mr. Coffee Automatic Dual Shot Espresso/Cappuccino System
Mr. Coffee automatic espresso machine allows you to brew two shots of coffee at the same time. It has a stainless steel drip tray that is removable and washable.
For cappuccino and latte, Mr. Coffee has a frothing arm to steam milk and a powerful nozzle that creates creamy froths.
The automatic machine has a thermal block heating system that heats water fast and a 15-bar pressure that brews rich-creamy topped espresso.
- Removable water reservoir: Mr. Coffee automatic coffee machine has a removable 40 oz water reservoir for easy water refill and cleaning.
- Pump system: the 15-bar pump system to make rich creamy-topped espresso.
- Tamping tool: before brewing coffee, you have to even the coffee layer by pressing the ground coffee in the portafilter. To even the coffee, you need to use the tamping tool.
- Portafilter: Mr. Coffee espresso and cappuccino maker has single and double portafilter for brewing.
- Milk frother: the automatic espresso machine has a milk frother to make a creamy froth for the cappuccino and latte.
10. Nespresso Lattissima Touch Original Espresso Machine with Milk Frother by De’Longhi
De’Longhi original Espresso machine has six pre-programmed buttons to help you choose a drink. These drinks are latte, macchiato, ristretto, lungo, hot milk, and espresso.
The machine has a programmable auto-off feature to save energy. The De’Longhi espresso machine also has an integrated milk carafe for milk textured drinks.
The automatic cappuccino system creates rich and dense foam for espresso and other coffee drinks.
- Nespresso capsules: enjoy the authentic taste when using the Nespresso capsule.
- One-touch selection: the De’Longhi machine is less involving. With a single button, you get to enjoy your drink within no time.
- Pump pressure: the 19-bar pressure extracts the full flavor for each cup. Also, the pressure delivers the drink at the desired temperature.
- The De’Longhi created rich, dense, and long-lasting foam for espresso beverages.
- With a wide selection of Nespresso capsules, this machine allows you to brew different flavors based on your preference.
11. Saeco Xelsis Super Automatic Espresso Machine
Saeco Xelsis has a coffee equalizer feature that allows you to customize your drinks. You can customize milk foam amount, temperature, volume, strength, the taste of coffee, and milk order.
This super-automatic machine has a durable ceramic grinder that extracts coffee flavor and aroma delivering superior taste. With Xelsis, you can brew fifteen different types of drinks.
- HygieSteam: this feature cleans up the milk system after each brew. The HygieSteam function cleans up the whole circuit with steam to the milk tubes.
- AquaClean Filter: the patented water filter purifies water by cleaning and removing any impurities. It increases the quality of the coffee brewing. The AquaClean also reduces the rate at which you descale the machine.
- The Saeco Xelsis has six customizable user profiles. You do not have to enter the same drink settings.
- Coffee equalizer: this feature allows you to adjust the temperature, volume, strength, and milk foam for your drink.
- Premier programming: The Saeco Xelsis super-automatic machine allows you to program your drink preference.
- Ceramic grinder: the ceramic grinder has a high-quality, durable material. It grinds coffee beans without overheating.
12. Philips Carina 1200-Series Compact Super-Automatic Espresso Machine
To enjoy a fresh, quality cup of espresso, you need to clean the brew group regularly. Philips Carina has a removable brew group that you rinse in clean tap water.
It has a removable water tank that holds up to 1.8L of water. As an all-in-one programmable machine, it allows you to brew, grind, and froth milk.
- Panarello steam wand: this is an auto-frothing wand that uses steam to make a silky milk froth for the cappuccino.
- Touch display: with a touch of a screen, make a selection from the My Coffee Choice menu.
- Grinder adjustment: the durable ceramic grinder has 12 adjustable settings to grind whole coffee beans from ultra-fine to coarse.
- AquaClean filter: the filter does not come with the espresso machine. It purifies water and, therefore, you do not have to descale the machine.
13. Espresso Machine & Cappuccino Maker with Milk Steamer, EspressoWorks
EspressoWorks brews espresso in four simple steps. This machine comes with a measuring spoon, grinder, tamper, frothing cup, and a portafilter.
The Espresso machine and cappuccino maker has an auto-off feature, which turns it off after 25 mins of inactivity. It also has a 15-bar thermoblock that heats the espresso machine within 45 seconds.
- Removable water tank: makes it easy to refill and clean the water reservoir.
- Electric grinder: grid whole coffee beans using the EspressoWorks grinder.
- The machine has a one-touch button that powers it on and off.
- EspressoWorks has a 15-bar pump system to brew Italian Espresso, Machiatto, and Americano drinks.
- It has a stainless steel filter with two baskets to brew single or double shots.
14. Calphalon BVCLECMPBM1 Temp iQ Espresso Machine
Calphalon espresso machine extracts coffee in three sizes. Fine grind has fast extraction, while coarse grind has slower extraction.
It has a 15-bar Italian pump that produces a thick layer of crema for the espresso. To grind coffee beans, it has an integrated conical burr mill grinder with 30 adjustable settings.
The Calphalon espresso machine comes with a stainless steel jug, cleaning brush, cleaning pin, tamper, and a cleaning disk. The cup warming tray gets the cups ready for espresso shots.
- Auto-shot control: this feature dispenses water for a single and double shot.
- Cup warming tray: it warms the cups, ready for espresso shots.
- Conical grinder: the integrated conical burr mill grinder has 30 adjustable grind settings for fresh espresso.
- Calphalon temp IQ: features a thermoblock and a PID temperature to distribute the heat during espresso extraction.
- The portafilter holds 58mm of ground coffee.
15. Jura ENA 8 Metropolitan Black Automatic Coffee Machine
Jura ENA 8 makes ten coffee beverages including, espresso, doppio, cappuccino, latte macchiato, and flat white. It has a TFT color display with buttons to allow you to make a selection.
It has a Pulse Extraction Process (PEP) that optimizes extraction time for a perfect espresso. It has a 37 oz water tank and a 4.4 oz bean hopper.
Jura ENA 8 has a water reservoir that is cylindrical and has a firm grip. To brew espresso, use whole coffee beans as the automatic machine has a conical burr grinder, AromaG3 grinder.
- Perfect espresso: to make an espresso brew, the Jura ENA 8 automatic machine uses the Pulse Extraction Process.
- Environmental friendly: Jura does not use capsules to brew. It uses a fresh coffee grind that is easy to dispose of.
- Intelligent Water System (IWS): Jura ENA 8 uses RFID technology to detect the water filter and adjust to the filter settings.
- Easy to use: the control panel has a TFT color display that does not require special skills to operate.
Automatic Espresso Machines Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. How do I descale my espresso machine?
A. Espresso machines will remind you of a scheduled descaling. But, there are other machines like the Philips with the AquaClean filter. With this filter, you do not have to descale the espresso machine. It purifies water before brewing.
- Q. What is digital temperature control (PID)?
A. A PID is a feature in the automatic espresso machines that delivers water at the right temperature for optimal or maximum espresso extraction.
- Q. Which is the best automatic espresso machine?
A. This depends on your personal preference as a coffee lover. Before budgeting for one, find out what you want to achieve with an espresso machine. From there, check the buying guides to see which espresso machine works best for you.
Is an Automatic Machine The Best Choice for Coffee Lovers?
Automatic machines are of different types. Depending on the features that you want from an espresso machine, this will help you budget for a machine that works for you.
As a coffee lover, getting the best out of an espresso machine should be your priority. You may be looking for a programmable espresso machine or an all-in-one automatic machine.
It depends on your preference. An automatic espresso machine is easy to use and makes different espresso drinks with the touch of a button.
From the above information, which automatic espresso machine will you be buying?